Reboot the machine and repair the installation
With the Enabled VSS support option Acronis True Image Echo errors out with the "Unable to create volume snapshot" error message when trying to backup a hard disk drive with EISA diagnostic partition
This has been fixed
Download and run the script on the host machine to fix the issue
Instructions on how to enable Microsoft native VSS instead of the default Acronis VSS in Acronis Backup & Recovery 10
As a workaround, disable the VSS support in Acronis True Image Echo
Make sure the backup is run under administrator or that you back up without using VSS
Installation of Acronis Product fails with SnapVssProvider Error in MSI log. This article provides information on how to find, identify and resolve typical errors in MSI logs of Acronis software.
Compatibility issue of Acronis True Image with NTBackup
How to create backup with these applications
Change the databases to Simple Recovery Mode
This article lists possible causes and solutions
You either have 1) Windows Server 2008 R2, or 2) Windows Small Business Server 2011, or 3) EFI system partition, or 4) EISA service partition
Activate Acronis VSS provider or turn off VSS entirely
Instructions on how to enable Microsoft native VSS instead of the default Acronis VSS in Acronis Backup
Hyper-V VMs on SMB3.0 shares backup is not supported
You are running a single-pass backup of SQL instances that fails with the error. To fix this issue, re-register the VSS service
All conditions must be true:
- Act! software and Microsoft SQL Server are installed
- Acronis True Image does not create a backup. If you click the red exclamation mark at the center of the backup screen, the following error message is displayed:
- Entire PC and disk/partition backups: Unable to create volume snapshot
- File and folder backup: Failed to backup file or folder
- The last modified log file at C:\ProgramData\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Logs\ti_demon contains the following text: VSS writer 'SqlServerWriter' with class ID 'A65FAA63-5EA8-4EBC-9DBD-A0C4DB26912A' has failed to process the snapshot
Backup on Windows XP fails with error "Failed to create volume snapshot" if MS SQL Server is installed.
The “File Server VSS Agent Service” role service must be enabled on the file server hosting SMB3.0 share.
This article applies to:
Recovery of MS Exchange database/storage group fails if committed transaction log is missing in the backup
Turn on the MS Exchange VSS Writer to fix the issue
Acronis VSS provider is used to initiate creation of VSS snapshot, but MS VSS service is actually used
The reason is that the backup was created with disabled VSS support
Acronis software may give errors, freeze or produce other undesired effects when there are issues with parts of the computer environment it operates in:
Disk partitions, file systems
Backup task hangs at "Calculating time remaining..."
Unlock the partition using diskpart
VSS-Backup fails with "The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error while trying to process the specified operation". To solve this issue, troubleshoot the VSS provider mentioned in the message.
This article applies to backups of Hyper-V VMs performed by Agent for Hyper-V (agent-less)
Prior to performing the backup, make sure that the below prerequisites are met:
1. Hyper-V Integration Services must be up-to-date and running inside the virtual machine(s).
2. In order to avoid VM going into "saved" state during backup, make sure that the Integration services -> Backup (Volume checkpoint) option is enabled in VM settings in Hyper-V Manager.
Backup fails with:
Windows error: (0x80070015) The device is not ready