When contacting Acronis Customer Central with a technical issue, it is recommended to have Acronis System Information at hand
- You install Agent for Windows into a Gen 2 Azure VM and perform recovery as described in Windows Azure and Amazon EC2 virtual machines
- You have upgraded your system from Acronis Cyber Backup 12.5 to Acronis Cyber Protect 15.
- After the upgrade, you created new protection plans. When you try to edit a newly created protection plan, there is a spinning loading circle with Reconnecting... message.
Product may hang under specific circumstances.
There are 2 types of hanging:
- Actual hanging. That is a state similar to a crash. That means that software halts and is doing nothing inside.
- Infinite loop. This means that on the outside the software looks hanging but inside it is doing some actions over and over again.
Usually when a software hangs its process uses either 100% of CPU (especially when it is infinite loop) or does not use CPU and does not change RAM usage at all (Actual hanging). Still it is difficult to make sure if the software hangs or not. The above means that usually 1 dump is not enough because if that is Infinite Loop – the developers will see that software is working and there is no problem inside. So in order to troubleshoot application lockups you need about 5 dumps collected one after another. A Process Monitor Log will also be useful especially if it actually turns out to be an Infinite Loop.
Please note that an application lockup does not necessarily mean the software is completely unresponsive. A process can hang (e.g. service_process.exe hangs and a backup is stuck), but you can still browse vaults, create new plans etc.
Define the hanging process using Windows Task Manager. In some cases multiple processes are involved in an operation. In this case the hang of 1 process can be caused by some operations in another process. In this case you need to collect memory dumps of all processes involved in the operation. E.g. if a backup to Acronis Storage Node hangs, you need to collect a dump of service_process of the agent as well as StorageServer.exe process on ASN machine.