This article explains how to update, repair the install of Acronis True Image 2018/2019/2020 and do a clean installation to resolve a problem with the software if need be.
Getting the installation file
Get the installation file for Acronis True Image. If you do not have one, open https://account.acronis.com in a web browser, sign into your Acronis account and click Go to downloads under Acronis True Image section. In the Downloads window that opens, click Download in the Acronis True Image installation file section. Download and run the installation file:
Running the update/repair installation
If the build that you currently have installed is older, you will see the Update button. Click it to update to the latest build. All the program files, except settings, get rebuilt, just like during repair installation.
If the installer has the same version as you currently have installed on the computer, click Repair:
Reboot the computer after that, even if not prompted by the installer. See if the issue is resolved.
Sometimes the problem lies not in the program core files, but in the configuration and cache files which are not changed by the repair and update procedures. If the repair installation does not help to resolve the problem, consider running a clean re-installation:
- Unless you follow this guide to resolve a technical issue, you can save existing settings and restore them upon reinstallation:
When the program behaves abnormally and the root cause of the problem is unknown, it is best to reconfigure backup plans anew rather than using the backup settings transfer feature.
- Run the installation file or select to uninstall Acronis True Image from "Apps and features" window or from "Control panel" - "Uninstall a program". Click Uninstall. This will remove both the program itself and its saved/cached settings. Backup files will not be deleted and can be added back to the list of backups and continued later (via "Add existing backup" option).
- Reboot the computer, even if not prompted by the uninstaller. This will completely unload Acronis True Image drivers and modules from computer memory.
- Install the program anew using the same installation file. Acronis True Image can only be installed on C:\
- Use the function "Add existing backup", as explained at https://kb.acronis.com/content/60918, to make previously made backups available. Then either delete them and define new backup tasks, or click "Reconfigure" to resume appending new backups versions to the earlier backup set. If you follow the present instructions to resolve an error about a backup file or version not found or not accessible, it is best to free up space for new backups by deleting the just added backup and define a new backup task.