Instructions on how to troubleshoot and resolve issues with corrupt backups
This article gives description of how backup archives are compatible with different versions of Acronis backup software
- You create a backup using Version 12 format.
- An operation with archive (e.g. applying retention rules) fails with the error message
Failed to lock the file
Backup or a different operation (replication, recovery, etc) fails with the following error:
The archive is invalid or its type is unsupported
You start a backup plan for the first time. After the first backup has not completed (for any reason), you want to delete this incomplete archive, but cannot find it under Backups. Or you notice, that space used in Acronis Cloud is larger than your backups occupy.
Deleting an entire backup:
- Connect to Management Console, and go to Backups tab, and then Locations
Acronis True Image 2020 introduced a new backup format - .tibx, which is even more reliable and convenient. The .tibx format is used for disk backups created to internal drives, external drives, network storage.
One of the main changes in this new backup format is that the .tibx format saves full and differential backup versions as separate files, while incremental backup versions are automatically merged into their base backups (full or differential).
- You have a backup plan with replication. Backup format is set to Automatic selection in Backup options.
- The resulting archive is in Version 11 format as the original archive was created by older product version
- After the archive is deleted in original location, replication fails with the following error:
Cannot use this type of backup archive.
Once a password has been set for a backup archive, it can not be retrieved if lost or forgotten