Backup to Cloud fails with:
Error code: 20
Fields: $module : disk_bundle_vs_39029
Message: Access to the file is denied.
This error is not specific to Cloud Backup. It indicates inability to access either backup source or backup destination.
When Cloud-related backup fails right after start when the software connects to Acronis Cloud storage and tries to access the archive it indicates either an issue with subscription or with archive protection key.
First make sure backup source is available. Please follow this article.
Then make sure your subscription is valid and available to the machine you want to back up:
- Your Cloud subscription has expired. To continue using Cloud backup you need to renew subscription.
- You have renewed your Cloud subscription, but certificate was not renewed. The certificate should be renewed automatically in all Acronis Backup products except Acronis Backup for VMware 9. Renew the certificate as described in this article.
- Subscription is not tied to the Agent doing backup. For example, you were backing up virtual machines using Virtual Appliance, then you started backing up with Agents installed into the guest OSs. Find the agent tied to the subscription: log in to your account on Acronis website, navigate to Cloud Backup for Business and click Recover files from Acronis Cloud. Here you can view list of machines backed up by the subscription and respective archives.
- Subscription conflict when using multiple Virtual Appliances, e.g. Machine1 was backed up by VA1, Machine2 was backed up by VA2. Backup will fail if VA2 starts to back up Machine1, because backups of Machine1 are managed by subscription of VA1.
- Archive naming conflict when backing up multiple machines to one account. For example, you have started a backup of Machine1 to Archive1, but the backup failed (and therefore is not displayed in the vault), then you start backing up Machine2 and give its archive name "Archive1". Backup fails since this archive name is already in use, although this archive does not contain any completed backups and is not displayed. In this case you need to rename the archive of Machine2.
After verifying subscription check archive protection key:
- In Acronis Management Console navigate to Options > Console Options > Credentials cache.
- Disable the option to store credentials and click on the Clear Credentials Cache button.
- Apply settings, close the console and launch it again.
- Navigate to the Cloud Vault (account password will be requested).
- Unfold the Cloud archive to view its versions (archive protection key will be requested). Wait for it to load contents.
- If no backups appear under the archive, repeat steps 1-5 with the correct key.
- If the backup version is shown, try to browse it (if there are no contents, repeat steps 1-5 with the correct key).
- After verifying password create a new backup plan, select the existing archive in Where to back up, archive protection key should be automatically applied if the archive was just opened through the Vault view, if not, check the corresponding option and provide the key there.
Should the issue still persist, please collect the following information and contact Acronis Customer Central:
- Acronis System Report.
Windows Vista/2008+: C:\ProgramData\Acronis\BackupAndRecovery\OnlineBackup\%email%
Windows XP/2003: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\BackupAndRecovery\OnlineBackup\%email%
Virtual Appliance: /var/lib/Acronis/BackupAndRecovery/OnlineBackup/%email%