Tape cartridges are not loaded into a tape autoloader automatically
This article applies to:
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Advanced Server
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Advanced Server - Small Business Server Edition
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Advanced Workstation
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Advanced Server - Virtual Edition
- You are using Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 and a mechanical automated tape library/loader;
- You are backing up to a centralized managed vault that is located on tape. When you start a backup, you are asked to insert the first media. A free tape cartridge is not automatically loaded into the tape library, you have to do it manually.
In Acronis Backup & Recovery 10, tape library support is realized through Windows Removable Storage Management (RSM).
A possible cause of the issue, is that the tape library is seen as a tape drive in RSM. As a direct result, Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 will see the tape library as a tape drive as well, meaning that advanced functions such as automatic loading will not be used.
- Please check the website of the tape library's manufacturer for the up to date drivers;
- Install the updated drivers for the tape library. If the drivers are already up to date, reinstall the existing drivers;
- Rebuild the RSM database:
- Click Start -> Run and type services.msc;
- Locate the Removable Storage service;
- Right-click on it and select Properties. In the new window click Stop. Then click OK;
- Then do the following:
- Delete the C:\WINDOWS\system32\NtmsData folder;
- Start the Removable Storage service;
- Rescan tapes using RSM by pressing the Rescan button on your autoloader or by right-clicking on the tape and selecting Inventory.
If the issue persists, please contact the tape library's manufacturer for assistance. RSM has to be able to detect the tape library as a library.