Acronis Storage Node does not support swapped drives. Managed vaults should only be created in permanent locations
This article applies to:
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Advanced Server
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Advanced Server - Small Business Server Edition
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Advanced Workstation
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Advanced Server - Virtual Edition
- You have two interchangeable drives that you intend to swap periodically and that have a managed vault with the same name and database path on them;
- You create some Acronis Storage Node task (see Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Storage Node) on the managed vault;
- After swapping the drives, the task fails.
For example, a cleanup task will fail with an error message similar to the following one:
Failed to remove some data after appending stream '1'
(vault '8ACA61D9-D0BD-40D9-8E8F-D139C4FC2C1F', archive
'48B52B7E-F3C9-4886-B00F-D3B5085385BF'.) Cannot index archive
'arl:/17451920-D43D-4522-AF5B-FD1EF7DCDC83/8ACA61D9-D0BD-40D9-8E8F-D139C4FC2C1F/48B52B7E-F3C9-4886-B00F-D3B5085385BF' because it is corrupted.
- After the task fails, the archives in the managed vault become corrupted.
Acronis Storage Node does not support swapped drives. Any Acronis Storage Node task to a managed vault on the drives that you swap will fail.
A managed vault should only be created in a permanent location (hard drive, network share etc).
See also Acronis Storage Node Limitations.
Even if you have a separate vault for each external HDD and these have different drive letters, please keep in mind that if the machine with the Acronis Storage Node becomes unavailable and you need to restore a backup from the vault, you need the database path that was on a local hard disk to reattach the vaults(s) to another machine with Acronis Storage Node installed - see Acronis Backup & Recovery 10: Moving Vaults on Acronis Management Server.
This is why using managed vaults on external HDDs is not a good way to create backups for offsite storage, as you can not easily determine which backups belong to which machine anymore (but it is possible without deduplication, see Acronis Backup & Recovery 10: Manually Exporting an Archive from Central Managed Vault).
If you use centralized unmanaged vaults with external HDDs instead, you do not need Acronis Storage Node to view the vault's structure.