1. Upon starting Managed Machine Service, Acronis Agent Core Service or Acronis Management Agent Core Service which depends on it cannot be started with the following error message:
"The mms.exe on the machine cannot be started. Starting the service fails with:
The „Аcronis Managed Machine Service” on “Local machine” failed to start"
"Managed Machine Service, Acronis Agent Core Service, Acronis Management Agent Core Service did not answer the start or control request in a timely fashion"
2. Event Viewer log on the affected machine shows Service Control Manager reporting Event 7001 (Error) when trying to start Acronis Agent Core Service or Acronis Management Agent Core Service.
3. aakore.log under C:\ProgramData\Acronis\Agent\var\log\aakore or C:\ProgramData\Acronis\ManagementAgent\var\log\aakore shows the following error:
04T13:22:11.539+02:00","level":"error","msg":"start service: reading service info: yaml: control characters are not allowed"}
One of the configuration files of the Acronis Agent got corrupted.
The configuration files need to be recreated to resolve the issue:
- Disable Acronis Active Protection Service in order to be able to recreate the issued configuration file(s):
- Disable Acronis Active Protection Service in all Protection plans applied to the issued Agent:
- On the affected Agent, stop Acronis Active Protection Service via services.msc.
- On the affected Agent, kill process "active_protection_service.exe" via Task Manager.
2. Examine the following files located in "C:\ProgramData\Acronis\Agent\var\aakore" and "C:\ProgramData\Acronis\ManagementAgent\var\aakore" for their content:
- host-alias.yaml (C:\ProgramData\Acronis\Agent\var\aakore) and C:\ProgramData\Acronis\ManagementAgent\var\aakore)
- roles.yaml (C:\ProgramData\Acronis\Agent\var\aakore) and C:\ProgramData\Acronis\ManagementAgent\var\aakore)
- aakore.yaml (C:\ProgramData\Acronis\Agent\etc) and C:\ProgramData\Acronis\ManagementAgent\var\aakore)
- aakore.info (C:\ProgramData\Acronis\Agent\var\run\aakore) and C:\ProgramData\Acronis\ManagementAgent\var\aakore)
3. If one of the files is empty, delete it and reattempt to start Acronis Managed Machine Service.
4. Affected files should be recreated automatically upon services start.
5. Open the recreated file and check if any configuration data was written to it.
If you are facing issues disabling Acronis Active Protection Service as mentioned above in Step 1, please try one of these methods:
- CleanBoot the affected Agent host and perform Step 2, follow the instructions in this article
- Start the Agent host in SafeMode and perform Step 2, follow the instructions in this article