- You try to clone a disk on a Mac with Apple silicon processor while booted from Acronis Bootable Media;
- Disk cloning fails with the following error:
Unable to create partitions
This article applies only to Macs with Apple silicon processors. If you encountered this error on different hardware, the issue is not covered in this article and requires investigation
Issue in the product.
This issue has been fixed in Acronis True Image 2021 Update 2 (Build 34340).
As a workaround for earlier builds, format the destination drive manually before cloning:
- Open Disk Utility
- The list of available drives on the left in Disk Utility window. Choose the external drive that is used as destination for cloning
- Click on the Erase option from the four options available in the main window.
- Select the following values for erasing the disk:
- Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
- Partition scheme: GUID partition map
- Click Erase to format the drive
- Boot from Acronis Bootable Media again and re-attempt the cloning operation