An attempt to install DeviceLock service on a computer with DeviceLock Enterprise Manager or 'Setup.exe' fails with "Fatal error during installation. (1603)" error.
The error indicates that Windows Installer Service has encountered an error which is preventing DeviceLock Agent installation.
1. Make sure that Windows Installer Service is started on problem computer(s) and that there is enough free space on the disk where DeviceLock Service is being installed to.
2. On computers running Windows Vista/7/8/8.1/10 user accounts from the local administrators group do not have full administrator permissions due to the system restrictions and thus cannot perform administrative tasks.
More information on this and how to disable this restriction can be found in the following MS article:
If Windows Installer service is running, and LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy=1 has been created on remote system, but the problem persists please generate DeviceLock installation logs using one of the provided registry files. Clear user temp directory %tmp%, and system temp directory '%WinDir%\TEMP' on the system where DeviceLock Agent is to be installed beforehand.
3.1. If installation is performed locally with 'DeviceLock Service.MSI' file, please apply 'Installer_log.reg' file on the computer where installation takes place, and generate installation logs using the following string from the location of 'DeviceLock Service.MSI' file, e.g.:
C:\Users\user_name\Desktop>msiexec /i "DeviceLock Service.msi" /l*vx install.log
Please send all *.log files from the %tmp% directory to us.
3.2. If installation is performed remotely with DeviceLock Enterprise Manager console's "Install Service" plug-in, apply the "DLEM_remoteInstall_log.reg" file on the computer where installation is run from, and restart DeviceLock consoles.
Reproduce the installation issue and collect DeviceLock installation logs:
- On the computer, the installation is performed from: %ProgramFiles%\DeviceLock\Plugins\serviceinstall.log
- On the computer where DeviceLock Service is being installed to: in the system %TEMP% ( %WinDir%\TEMP by default) or in the users %TEMP% in case of local installation.
DLRI_XXXX.log and DLRI_XXXX_msi.log
4. Compress all *.log files into an archive (ZIP/RAR) and upload it to our FTP Server: ftp.devicelock.com.
Please contact DeviceLock support team for FTP server credentials.