You create an agentless backup of VMware or Hyper-V virtual machine.
When you try to recover files from a virtual machine backup to original location, only custom location is available in the recovery wizard:
Recovery of files from agentless VM backup cannot be made into original location inside the guest OS of the backed up VM, since the agent that performs the recovery by default (Agent for VMware/Agent for Hyper-V) cannot access the files inside the guest OS.
In order to recover files to original location, Agent must be installed inside the guest OS that you are trying to recover.
There are 2 possible solutions in this case:
1) Recover files to a custom location first, e.g. network share, and then move them to the VM manually.
2) Install an Agent inside the VM to which you want to recover files. Then perform the recovery in the following way:
- Go to Backups -> Locations (Acronis Cyber Backup 12.5) or Backup Storage -> Locations (in Acronis Cyber Protect Cloud) and select the location where VM backups are stored
- In Machine to browse from select the VM to which you want to recover files;
- Select the necessary backup and perform file recovery (see Recovering files by using the web interface)
Acronis plans to add a possibility to directly recover files to original VM in one of the future versions of the product.