Activity (backup, validation, etc) fails with the following error:
Windows error: (0x80070570) The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable
Most probable cause is file system corruption or errors on the disk.
Do not use file backup for backing up system folders such as C:/Windows or System Volume Information folder, they should be protected with disk-level backup (see product documentation). A file-level backup is not sufficient for recovery of the operating system. Choose file backup if you plan to protect user data, such as documents and personal files.
- Identify which disk produces the error: open the error message (click on "Details") and find the field "path", e.g. in the example used above:
If this error is related to a VM backup, issue can be either on virtual disk of the VM, or on the disk where VM resides.
Fix the file system on the affected volume. Check the status of the file system using Acronis Disk Report and/or check Windows Event logs for issues with hardware (see this article for more information), or use diagnostic tools provided by your hardware manufacturer.
If Acronis Disk Report shows E or W for the drive that you are trying to backup, or Windows Event logs show errors related to a certain disk/partition, then it is recommended to check the partition for errors and repair. You can Windows native Check Disk utility:
- Make sure that you have a healthy backup of the machine. If not, you can create one using Acronis Bootable Media.
- Launch elevated Command Prompt (Start -> run -> cmd - > right-click and select Run as Administrator) and enter following command:
chkdsk <disk letter>: /r /f
where <disk letter> is the partition letter you need to check, e.g. chkdsk E: /r /f
- Note that checking the C: drive may require you to reboot the machine.
- The issue might also occur if the disk contains residual data from previous chkdsk attempts; this data is ignored by further chkdsk. Such files are located in found.000/file00000000.chk folder of the root folder. The error message indicates this root cause:
Error code: 65520
Message: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.
Remove the files or the found.000 folder from the drive. Important note: as the purpose of this folder is to keep for potential recovery the files that might have been affected by chkdsk attempts to repair bad sectors, you might want to inspect its contents first. Once the folder is deleted, there won't be any possibility to view and restore its contents. See this discussion in Microsoft Answers for more details.
If the suggested steps did not resolve the issue, collect Acronis system report from the affected agent machine and contact Acronis Customer Central with reference to this article: