- You set up a backup task with cleanup scheme By number of backups and choose to start cleanup before backup.
- After you run the backup several times, recovery points in Show backups show one more recovery point than the number of backups specified.
This is by design.
For example, you specify Maximum number of backups: 3. If you select to start cleanup before backup, the process goes as follows:
- After you run the backup 3 times, 3 backups(recovery points) are created.
- When you run the backup for 4th time - cleanup task runs before backup and verifies that storage has 3 backups, no cleanup is necessary.
- Backup task runs, backup 4 is created.
- When you run the backup task for the 5th time, cleanup task runs before backup, detects 4 backups and deletes one, resulting in 3 backups.
- Then backup is run and 1 more backup is created, resulting in 4 backups.
Select to start cleanup after backup
specify a smaller number of backups to keep, as one extra backup will be created when the backup task runs after cleanup: e.g if you want to have 3 backups in the backup location, select to keep 2 backups.