- You try to enable application-aware backup of ESXi virtual machine,
- Operation fails with the following error:
Failed to get the object's property 'disk.EnableUUID'
The 'disk.EnableUUID' parameter is not set in the virtual machine options in VMware vSphere. This parameter is required to present a consistent UUID to the VM, thus allowing the disk to be mounted properly.
Enable "disk.EnableUUID" parameter for the affected virtual machine:
- Power off the VM
- Select the VM and choose Edit Settings.
- Select the Options tab on top, then select General under the Advanced section.
- Select Configuration Parameters... on the right side.
- Check to see if the parameter disk.EnableUUID is set, if it is there then make sure it is set to TRUE.
- If the parameter is not there, select Add Row and add disk.EnableUUID parameter with value = TRUE
The ‘Disk.EnableUUID’ property must be set to ‘True’ in order to enable application-consistent quiescing of the VM during the snapshot creation. Successful application-consistent VM snapshot which is a ”must” pre-requisite for proper application-aware processing of the backup. See this VMware article for more details about types of consistency within VMware snapshots.