For a more detailed version of the instructions, click here.
To recover your system:
- Attach the external drive if it contains the backup to be used for recovery and make sure that the drive is powered on.
- Arrange the boot order in BIOS so as to make your rescue media device (CD, DVD or USB stick, or external USB HDD in case you use Acronis Survival Kit) the first boot device. See Arranging boot order in BIOS or UEFI BIOS.
If you use an UEFI computer, please pay attention to the boot mode of the bootable media in UEFI BIOS. It is recommended that the boot mode matches the type of the system in the backup. If the backup contains a BIOS system, then boot the bootable media in BIOS mode; if the system is UEFI, then ensure that UEFI mode is set.
- Boot from the rescue media. Wait while the bootable environment is loading:
- Acronis True Image 2020 window appears:
- On the Home screen, select My disks below Recover.
- Select the system disk or partition backup to be used for recovery.
If the backup is not displayed, click Browse and specify path to the backup manually.
- Select Recover whole disks and partitions at the Recovery method step:
- On What to recover screen locate the system disk and mark the checkbox next to it. To avoid unnecessary configuration steps further in the wizard, click on the checkbox next to the disk title, e.g. "Disk 1", and not on the checkboxes next to partitions (EFI System Partition, C:, Recovery partition, etc):
- Review the "Destination of Disk 1" and click Next if it is correct. Otherwise, change the settings as required before clicking Next. Changing the settings will be needed when recovering to the new hard disk of a different capacity.
- Carefully read the summary of operations at the Summary step. Having checked the summary click Proceed to start recovery.
- When the operation finishes, exit the standalone version of Acronis True Image 2020, remove the rescue media and boot from the recovered system partition. After making sure that you have recovered Windows to the state you need, restore the original boot order.