What is dual protection feature in Acronis True Image 2020 and how to use it
Dual protection feature allows you to automatically replicate Entire Computer backups and disk-partition backups to Acronis Cloud. Automatically replicating your local backup in the cloud ensures you always have an off-site copy available for recovery. It streamlines your the 3-2-1 backup strategy by completing the backup and replication simultaneously: no need to manage two plans or run two backups.
Prerequisites and limitations:
- Replica is available only for backups started with Acronis True Image 2020. The tab "Replica" will not appear for backups, created by older versions of Acronis True Image.
- Replica is available only for backup plans created with Acronis True Image 2020.
- Only Entire PC/Entire Mac backups and disk/partition backups can be replicated to Cloud. This option is not available for file/folder backups.
- Initial backup must be saved to a local or external hard drive. Backups saved on network share, NAS, FTP, Acronis Secure Zone, optical discs (BD, DVD, CD) cannot be replicated.
- You need Acronis Cloud Storage in order to use replica. Acronis Cloud Storage is a part of Advanced and Premium subscriptions.
- Replication is not activated by default. You can activate it in a special tab of a backup plan.
- If some local backups were created while the previous replication was in progress, the next replication will take the latest local backup slice.
- If you set up any post-backup commands, they will be executed after backup completes and before the replication starts. If you choose to turn off the computer after backup finishes, the machine will turn off after backup completes. In such case, replication will start when the computer is switched on again.
- It is possible to replicate only to Acronis Cloud. Replication to a local folder, local network and to other vendors' Cloud storage is not available.
How to use replica:
- Open Acronis True Image and set up a disk/partition backup or Entire Computer backup.
- Start the backup:
- Switch to the Replica tab at the top of backup window:
- Click Replicate:
- If you are not logged in to your Acronis Account, software will prompt you to sign in
- Replication will start automatically after the initial backup is finished:
(!) Note that the replication status will be displayed on the Replica tab and not in the main backup window.
If you don't plan to use replication to the Cloud and have not yet created a replica, you can remove Replica tab for this backup plan using Hide the replica tab button.