What is Physical Data Shipping and when it is needed
Physical Data Shipping is a service which helps you if your Internet connection is too slow to back up large amounts of data or the entire machines to the cloud storage. With this service you can save the first full backup locally and then send it to Acronis for upload. After uploading the initial seeding backup, only the incremental backups to that full backup are uploaded to the cloud.
With 1 Physical Data Shipping license you can send one hard disk drive (1) to an Acronis cloud data center so that the center can upload large volumes of data quickly to the cloud. You can save backups from several machines to the same disk.
This option is effective for disk-level backups and file backups created by Agent for Windows, Agent for Linux, Agent for Mac, Agent for VMware, and Agent for Hyper-V. Backups created under bootable media are not supported.
How to create Physical Data Shipping backup
- Run Backup Management console.
- Select the machine to back up and start creating a new backup plan. It is not possible to create initial seeding backup to the existing backup plan, you need to create a new backup plan.
- Select the data to back up and schedule.
- Set Where to backup = Cloud Storage.
- On the Backup options screen, select Use Physical Data Shipping:
- After you select Physical Data Shipping backup option, the Acronis Cyber Backup will offer to select the destination for the initial backup, it could be either local or network folder. You can back up directly to the drive you will send to Acronis datacenter or copy the backup to this drive after it is created. The backups must be located in the root directory of the volume.
- Apply the backup plan and run it.
- If necessary, copy the created backup to the drive that you plan to ship to Acronis data center.
On the first run, backup agent creates local backup to the selected destination. When backup finishes, you can send the backup to the datacenter for uploading.
How to send the initial backup
- Register your Physical Data Shipping license under your Acronis Account
Use the Physical Data Shipping service web interface to download the order creation tool and create the order.
To access this web interface, do one of the following:
In on-premise deployments: log in to your Acronis account, and then click Go to Tracking Console under Physical Data Shipping.
In cloud deployments: log in to the management portal, click Overview > Usage > Physical Data Shipping tab, and then click Manage service
Download order creation tool: click the Download button in top right corner
Attach the drives with the data to a machine that has an Internet connection.
Launch the Order Creation tool on this machine and sign in using credentials from your Acronis account:
Select the drive containing the backup(s)
Shipping address for your Physical Data Shipping will be displayed at the next step.
Go to your shipping company's website and use this address to create a shipment label and obtain a tracking number. If you want your drives returned, also create a pre-paid return shipment label.
Check I enclose prepaid shipping label.. checkbox if you want the hard drive back and you provide the return shipping label in the box.
[Optional] In Tracking number, specify the tracking number. This will simplify the support procedure if it is necessary.
Click Create order.
Note the order number displayed on the next step. You can use the provided link to check the order status.
Ship the hard drive to the datacenter using the provided address.
How to proceed when upload is completed
When the initial full backup has been uploaded, further incremental backups are created according to the schedule within the same backup plan.
After the first run of the seeded backup, all other runs of this backup plan will check whether it was uploaded to cloud storage and fail if the uploaded backup is not found in the cloud.