Acronis True Image Beta is available in English and all the communication is performed in English language only. Other languages will become available in the release version of Acronis True Image 2021, when the Beta campaign finishes.
Before you install Acronis True Image Beta
If you already use Acronis True Image software (not Beta), we recommend running a system backup before you install the Beta software and ensure you have a bootable media so that you can always restore everything like it was before the Beta software was installed, if needed (Windows, Mac).
Compatibility with other Acronis products and product versions
- Side-by-side installation of Acronis True Image 2021 Beta with any other version of Acronis True Image is not possible.
- Beta is installed as an in-place upgrade over 2017-2020 versions, silently overwriting them. Existing backup plans, their settings and the respective backup archives will be preserved and could be re-used and continued with Acronis True Image 2021 Beta.
- If version 2016 or earlier is found, the 2021 Beta installer will prompt to uninstall it. Use Windows' "Apps and Features" or Windows Control Panel to uninstall the earlier version, then launch the Beta installer again.
- Acronis True Image 2021 Beta can co-exist with Acronis Disk Director of any version. No need to uninstall Acronis Disk Director, if you have it.
- Acronis True Image 2021 Beta cannot co-exist with Acronis Backup, Acronis Snap Deploy and the free Acronis Ransomware Protection. They need to be uninstalled before the Beta can be installed and used.
- Backups from earlier versions can be continued (new backups appended), browsed and restored with Acronis True Image 2021 Beta.
- Bootable media should be created anew with Acronis True Image 2021 Beta.
- If you had Acronis Startup Recover Manager (ASRM, also known as "F11" button feature) activated before installing Acronis True Image 2021 Beta, re-activate it with Acronis True Image 2021 Beta.
- Existing backups in any location, local and in Acronis Cloud, created with any pre-2021 version (2020б 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 and all earlier) are retained and can be continued and restored with Acronis True Image 2021 Beta. However, this works only in one direction: pre-2021 product versions (e.g. Acronis True Image 2020) may not be able to work with the backups, created with Acronis True Image 2021 Beta. This applies to both completely new backups and those, that were initially created with an earlier version (e.g. 2020), and continued with Acronis True Image 2021 Beta.
- If the backup that you wish to continue is missing from the list, use Add - Add existing backup feature to locate it and add to the list.
- For users who skipped the version 2020: although earlier created disk/partition/Entire PC backups can be continued and restored, we encourage you to create new disk/partition/Entire PC backup plans with Acronis True Image 2021 Beta to drive test a new backup format "Archive 3" with .tibx file name extension. Previously "Archive 3" format was used only in local mobile backups, in file/folder backups to Cloud (version 2019 only), and in Acronis Backup product line.
When the Beta campaign is over...
When Acronis True Image 2021 Beta campaign finishes, you can stay with 2021 version or go back to an earlier version of Acronis True Image, if you had a license for it.
Option 1. Continue with the version 2021
Users, who would like to stay with Acronis True Image 2021, can do that in two steps, in any order: 1) ensure they have a license and 2) install the release version of Acronis True Image 2021
- Step one, the license:
- Is granted for free for the top contributors of the Beta campaign.
- Is free for owners of the subscription kind of Acronis True Image license: Advanced or Premium, within their subscription period. They do not need to pay to be able to continue with 2021 version when the Beta program ends, as long as the subscription remains active. Free upgrade is part of the subscription offer. The entitlement is validated by Acronis account’s email that is used to log in the new software. No need to enter any license key.
- When a subscription license expires, user has to purchase a new license: either Perpetual or Subscription, to be able to continue using Acronis True Image. There is no special type of license for "renewing" subscription.
- There is no discount for renewing subscription licenses for existing users, compared to new purchases of subscription licenses.
- Owners of any earlier perpetual license (also known as Standard and One-Time Purchase) can buy Acronis True Image 2021 at upgrade price (the link will point to the version 2021 after the Beta program finishes).
- Can be trialed for free for 30 days (the link will point to the version 2021 after the Beta program finishes). Trial version does not have a serial number and is presented as a choice at license activation screen at program startup.
- Step two: installation of the release version of Acronis True Image 2021.
- Uninstall the Beta version of Acronis True Image 2021. This will trash the backup settings, but the backups themselves will be preserved and could be continued and restored with the release version of Acronis True Image 2021. This step is not obligatory, but recommended to avoid any possible compatibility issues between the format of the software settings in Beta and release versions of Acronis True Image 2021.
- Download and install the release version of Acronis True Image 2021.
- Verify that the license has been activated successfully - look under the Account tab of the program.
- Click “Reconfigure” under backups that you would like to continue and "Add backup" - for defining a new backup plan.
Option 2. Go back to an earlier version
If you had a license for an earlier version of Acronis True Image, and did not like Acronis True Image 2021 Beta (we’d be very interested in hearing from you, why) and do not want to stay with the new version, you can go back to the earlier version.
- Delete backups, created with Acronis True Image 2021 Beta. They are not tested for compatibility with earlier versions of Acronis True Image and may be non-recoverable with earlier versions. You may want to keep one backup from 2021 Beta for a rare, but possible case, if the need for restore will come before the earlier version produces a new backup. Also keep a bootable media, created with Acronis True Image 2021 Beta, for the purpose of recovering the respective backup.
- Uninstall Acronis True Image 2021 Beta.
- Reboot the computer to fully unload the Beta software from the computer RAM memory.
- Install the earlier version of Acronis True Image. The download link, as well as your license key, can always be found under https://account.acronis.com, if registered earlier. If you have multiple email addresses registered with Acronis, sign in using the same email address as you indicated in the purchase order. To resolve the error about license already registered under a different account, follow the steps from here to transfer the license between accounts. In case of the error "You've exceeded the maximum number of activations for this serial number", please follow instructions here: Windows, Mac.
- Verify that the license has been activated successfully by looking under the Account tab of the software.
- If the automatic search for backups, that runs after the software installation, finds any backups that you created with Acronis True Image 2021 Beta, please delete them by opening the context menu and selecting Delete.
- To continue backups, created with the earlier version, click "Reconfigure" button to re-create backup settings.
- To create new backup plans, click “Add backup” and start creating new backups with the earlier version of Acronis True Image.