1) You are trying to install, update, uninstall, register or unregister Agent for Mac.
2) Agent registration on Management Server fails with the error message:
Could not resolve host: localhost; nodename nor servname provided, or not known
3) If you run ping localhost command in Terminal, you receive the following message:
ping: cannot resolve localhost: Unknown host
There is an issue with network configuration of the Mac with Agent: string for localhost resolution is missing in the hosts file. As a result, register agent tool fails to resolve localhost during registration.
1. Open Terminal
2. You need to update the /etc/hosts file. Run the following command:
sudo nano /etc/hosts/
Specify admin password, if prompted.
3. Add the following line in the hosts file:
4. Press Ctrl+O to save changes to the file. Press Ctrl+X to exit the editor.
5. Reattempt the installation/registration.