Create a .bat file to run inventory before backup
If you have a standalone tape device and insert new tape for the backup, you need to inventory tapes before running the backup task. If you try to run a backup without inventorying the tape first, you will see the following message: Cannot find tape to continue backup; and user interaction will be required to continue backup.
You can create a batch file to run tape inventory automatically before backup. Follow the steps below:
- In backup console, go to Settings -Tape management and choose your tape device
- Click on Details - All properties and note the libraryid (not to be confused with id or resourceid). You will need this id for the batch.
- Make sure that the component Command-Line Tool is installed on the machine with tape (the default location is \Program Files\Acronis\CommandLineTool\acrocmd.exe)
- Create a new .txt file and specify the following text in the file
acrocmd inventory tape --libraries=XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX
where XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX is libraryid of your tape device
- Save changes to the file and change the file extension from .txt to .bat
- If the Agent is installed on the same machine where the tape device is connected, open Backup Options in your backup plan, go to Pre/Post commands, enable executing command before the backup and specify the .bat file that you created as a pre-command to the backup. File can be specified by providing a local path to it, e.g C:\ProgramData\Acronis\Inventory.bat
- If the Agent is installed on a different machine from where the tape device is connected or if you have many Agents making backup on this device through Acronis Storage Node, create a task in Windows Scheduler on the machine with tape device. Open Windows Scheduler and create new task that should run before the backup. Under Actions specify the path to the batch file that you created.
Automatic detection of newly inserted tapes is planned for future versions of Acronis Backup.