Use a pre-backup command to run inventory before backup
If you have a standalone tape device and insert new tape for the backup, you need to inventory tapes before running the backup task. If you try to run a backup without inventorying the tape first, you will see the following message: Cannot find tape to continue backup; and user interaction will be required to continue backup.
You can specify a pre-backup command on a Windows or Linux machine to run tape inventory automatically before backup. Follow the steps below:
- In backup console, go to Settings -Tape management and choose your tape device
- Click on Details - All properties and note the libraryid (not to be confused with id or resourceid). You will need this id for the command.
- Make sure that the component Command-Line Tool is installed on the machine with tape
- The default location is
- Windows: \Program Files\Acronis\CommandLineTool\acrocmd.exe
- Linux: /usr/lib/Acronis/CommandLineTool
- Edit the backup plan for the Agent machine where the tape device is connected, open Backup Options, go to Pre/Post commands, enable executing command before the backup and specify the following values:
- Command or batch file path on the machine with an agent: acrocmd
- Arguments: inventory tape --libraries=XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX
where XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX is libraryid of your tape device
- Save changes to the backup plan.
In Windows environment, if the Agent is installed on a different machine from where the tape device is connected or if you have many Agents making backup on this device through Acronis Storage Node, you can create a task in Windows Scheduler on the machine with tape device. Open Windows Scheduler and create new task that should run before the backup.