- You create a backup to a destination formatted in NTFS
- Backup fails with one of the following errors:
Windows error: (0x80070299) The requested operation could not be completed due to a file system limitation
Cannot write data to file <path> due to a file system limitation. The disk may be highly fragmented or the file is too large
There are two possible causes:
- Disk is highly fragmented, so that when data is written to the archive, it hits file system limitation
- Archive format uses sparse files - fragmented files that contain holes, which do not occupy physical disk space. In combination with native file system fragmentation, large backup file that contains a lot of sparse files, hits file system limitation and backup fails with the error.
- In Backup Options -> Splitting enable fixed size split backup and set slice size between 100GB and 500GB, and create a new backup archive.
(!) Splitting option is not available for Always incremental backup scheme. See https://www.acronis.com/en-us/support/documentation/AcronisBackup_12.5/#39658.html for details.
Splitting option is also not available if Cloud storage is specified as a secondary location. In this case it is recommended to create separate backup plans: one with splitting, for local storage, and a second one for backing up to Cloud
- Free up additional space on the disk or add storage capacity
In case you are specially preparing a storage with NTFS file system for storing large backups, for better handling of large files it is recommended to set a 64 KB NTFS allocation unit size and enable support for large file record segments (FRS) on the partition: see Formatting requirements for large files in this document for more information.