Online license activation of Acronis Cyber Protect Home Office or Acronis True Image fails if the network connection to Acronis servers is blocked in the firewall software, Windows hosts file, router settings or by Internet Service Provider (ISP).
Users of Acronis True Image 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 Standard can activate Acronis True Image using the offline method:
- Acronis True Image 2021 - see here
- Acronis True Image 2020 - see here
- Acronis True Image 2019 - see here
- Acronis True Image 2018 - see here
Licenses of the subscription type, Acronis Cyber Protect Home Office (formerly Acronis True Image) Essential, Advanced or Premium, cannot be activated offline. If you have a subscription license and it fails to activate, follow the instructions below to troubleshoot the network connection issues to Acronis servers and activate the license online.
Follow the steps below to check Windows Firewall settings. If you have a third-party firewall running, consult its documentation on how to remove a block rule.
1. Open Windows Control Panel:
Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10 users: right-click on Windows Start menu button and select Control panel:
Windows 7 users: Open Windows Start menu and select Control Panel:
2. Click System and Security:
3. Click Windows Firewall:
4. Click Advanced settings:
5. Windows Firewall with Advanced Security window will open in a few seconds. Click Outbound Rules:
6. See if there are any lines marked with a crossed circle icon - these are Windows Firewall block rules:
7. If you have found a block rule that has "Acronis" in its name, right-click it and select Delete.
8. Click Yes to confirm the operation:
9. Keep removing the lines marked with the crossed circles until there are no block rules referencing Acronis:
10. Switch to the Acronis program and attempt to activate your license.
1. Copy the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts to your Desktop folder:
2. Right-click the hosts file on your Desktop and select Open with:
3. Select Notepad from the list and click OK:
4. Check if there are any lines containing "acronis":
5. Delete all the lines with "acronis":
6. Click File -> Save, then close Notepad:
7. Drag and drop the edited file "hosts" from Desktop to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc:
8. Choose the Replace option:
9. Click Continue to confirm the operation:
10. If the replacement has succeeded, the file "hosts" will disappear from the Desktop:
11. Re-launch Acronis True Image and attempt to activate your license.
Verify the connection to Acronis servers
Follow https://kb.acronis.com/content/47145 to check the connection to Acronis servers.
If the checking tool displays any text in red color, it means the access to Acronis servers is still blocked in your environment. See what address and/or port are marked with red and make sure that other software, your router and Internet service provider are not blocking them.
If the verification tool does not produce any red-colored messages, proceed to the next step below.