This article describes a known issue with Acronis Active Protection when all four conditions, listed below, are met:
1) An external or built-in card reader for memory cards (SD, MMC, SM, XD, MS, MS-Pro and others) is connected and enabled
any other kind of removable storage device without a mounted file system is connected, e.g. a removable storage device that appears after certain printer software is installed.
2) Acronis Active Protection service is shown as "Running" in the services list (open Windows Start menu, type services.msc and press Enter to access the list). If the service's status is "Stopped", the present KB article does not apply - please follow troubleshooting instructions from that article instead.
3) "Active Protection is off" status is displayed under "Active Protection" tab:
4) When you try to turn on Active Protection by clicking on the toggle switch, it changes to a three dots ("in progress"-like picture), and then returns back to the OFF position. The status message remains "Active Protection is off".
Known issue in Acronis True Image 2018 (Windows version) build 9660 and earlier.
The permanent fix for the issue will be included with the next update for the software. Update notifications are enabled by default - you won't miss it!
As a temporal workaround, disable the card reader device in Windows Device Manager:
- Open Windows Start menu
- Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter
- Expand "Disk drives" section
- Locate the card reader device, right-click it and select "Disable device"
- Click Yes to confirm the operation
- Reboot the computer