If you want to restore APFS volumes to a new or empty disk, you need to create partitions on this new disk before you restore from a backup. Follow this article to restore from your Mac backup to a new disk.
You do not need to perform these additional steps if you restore to the same disk that you have backed up - just follow the on-screen instructions.
In Acronis True Image 2020, APFS volumes are mapped automatically during recovery, just follow the on-screen instructions.
Older Macs won't recognize APFS volumes as bootable devices until the macOS Installer has applied a firmware upgrade. If you're planning to clone High Sierra or later onto another (especially older) Mac, run macOS installer in the system to install firmware upgrade before performing recovery.
- Download and unpack these scripts.
- Copy the scripts to the bootable media, to another device (for example, a USB flash drive), or to a network share.
- Plug in the bootable media to your Mac.
- Start or restart your Mac. Press and hold the Option key while the Mac is starting. The boot menu will be displayed.
- Choose Acronis Bootable Media or OS X Base System in boot menu. Mac OS X Utilities will be displayed.
- Open Terminal: in the upper menu panel click Utilities, and then click Terminal.
- Navigate to to the directory with the scripts, for example:
If the scripts are placed on the bootable media, they reside in /
If you do not know the name of your media, type cd /Volumes/ and hit the Tab key twice, all directories will be listed.
- Run the script:
- Once the drive is partitioned ('Drive partitioned' will be displayed), close Terminal: click Terminal, and then click Quit Terminal.
- Select Recover from Acronis True Image Backup.
- Follow the recovery wizard. In the Select recovery source and destination step, select the check boxes next to the partitions that you want to recover. Pay attention to the partition names in the Source and and Destination columns: they should match.
- Once the recovery is done, open Terminal once again: click Utilities, and then click Terminal.
- Navigate to the directory with the post-recovery script:
cd /Applications/Acronis\ True\ Image.app/Contents/MacOS
- Run the script:
- From the Apple menu choose Startup Disk. Select your internal drive (the drive you have just restored to) and click Restart.