The “File Server VSS Agent Service” role service must be enabled on the file server hosting SMB3.0 share.
This article applies to:
- Acronis Backup Advanced 11.7 (Acronis Backup & Recovery 11.7 Advanced Update 6)
- You create a backup of multiple virtual machines running on Hyper-V host under Windows 2012 R2.
- Some (may be none) machines are successfully backed up until backup of one fails with:
The given shadow copy provider does not support shadow copying the specified volume.
Backup of the remaining machines fails as well.
The “File Server VSS Agent Service” role service is not enabled on the file server where SMB3.0 share hosting VM disks is located.
Add the “File Server VSS Agent Service” role service to the file server. Also note the following general prerequisites:
- Application server and file server must be running Windows Server 2012
- Application server and file server must be domain joined to the same Active Directory domain
- The backup agent must run in a security context that has backup operators or administrators privileges on both application server and file server
- The backup agent/application must run in a security context that has at least READ permission on file share data that is being backed up.
The full list of the VSS handling specifics for SMB3.0 shares can be seen here.
Please contact Acronis Customer Central if you need assistance.