- You want to use Physycal Data Shipping and create an initial backup of a Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 machine to a USB flash drive (which is detected as a network share in Acronis software).
- Backup fails with:
The network location doesn’t exist.
Please use solutions described in this Microsoft KB article.
Prior to applying solution 2 from the Microsoft KB, you might need to change the LAN Manager authentication level in group policy:
- Open Group Policy Editor: Start -> Search -> gpedit.msc
- In the Computer Configuration section click Windows Settings.
- Double-click Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level and select Send LM & NTLM Responses.
- Click Apply and OK.
- Reboot the computer and proceed as described in the Microsoft article.