New version is available!
This new version includes the fix for the "Failed to resolve the storage: Incorrect padding" issue. Update is required once Acronis Backup Cloud is upgraded to version 7.5.
This article applies to:
- Acronis Backup Cloud, data-center side, starting with version 4: Backup Client version 12.0.789 (or later), Server version 12.0.1511 (or later), Console version 12.0.2009 (or later)
What are initial seeding and large scale recovery and when are they needed
Initial Seeding is a service that helps end users back up large amounts of data to the cloud storage over a slow Internet connection. With this service, the end users are able to save the first full backup locally and then send it to a partner datacenter for upload. After uploading the initial seeding backup, only incremental backups to that full backup are saved to the cloud.
Large Scale Recovery is a service that enables end users to obtain a copy of the backups they have in the cloud storage. They can then recover data from this copy. Once they order Large Scale Recovery for a particular machine, you send them a hard disk drive with all of the backups made from this machine. The end users can recover data directly from the disk or copy the backups to a local or network folder.
Initial Seeding and Large Scale Recovery are available for all Windows and Linux operating systems supported by Acronis Backup Cloud. It is not available for Mac operating systems.
The typical Initial Seeding workflow to provide the service is as follows:
- End user purchases the service and receives the shipping address.
- End user creates an initial seeding backup on a local hard drive.
- End user packs the hard drive and ships the package to the partner datacenter.
- Partner uploads the initial seeding backup to the cloud storage by using the Initial Seeding tool and notifies the user that the upload is complete.
- Partner sends the hard drive back to the end user or securely destroys the hard drive.
The typical Large Scale Recovery workflow is as follows:
- End user purchases the service and provides LSR token to the partner.
- Partner downloads the end user's archive(s).
- Partner ships a hard drive with the archives to the end user.
- End user recovers data from the archive(s).
The Initial Seeding/Large Scale Recovery tool supports uploading to/from Acronis Cloud Storage or private cloud storage based on Acronis Storage.
How to set up initial seeding/large scale recovery service
Acronis recommendations for setting up the service:
- Decide on licensing and pricing. Note that there is no count of initial seeding/large scale recovery orders in Acronis Backup Cloud.
- Think of the shipping procedure. We recommend Fedex, UPS or DHL as shipping providers. Note that Customers may want their hard drives back, so you would either need a return shipping label from them or include return shipping costs in the price of the Initial Seeding service.
- Decide on a notification service for the Customers. Acronis Backup Cloud does not send notifications upon initial seeding backup creation or upload/download completion.
- Allocate a machine for installing the Initial Seeding/Large Scale Recovery tool. You need a Windows/Linux x64 machine with at least 2 GB of RAM and fast Internet connection to Acronis Cloud Storage and/or your custom Acronis Storage installation.
- Decide on supported hard drive types. Most Customers send the initial seeding backup on USB hard drives. If you want to support more hard drive types, for example SATA/eSATA, make sure the machine is properly equipped for easy hard drive connection.
- Install the Initial Seeding/Large Scale Recovery tool on the chosen machine.
- Test the Initial Seeding/Large Scale Recovery process: create an initial seeding backup and upload it to the storage, after creating a couple of incremental backups, download the archive using the IS/LSR tool.
- Prepare a step-by-step instruction for Customers about using the service.
How to install and configure IS/LSR tool
To check the currently installed version, issue:
- Download the update:
- Unpack the archive.
- Place the files into the folder with IS/LSR executables. Select "Replace existing files" when prompted.
In Windows, it is C:/Program Files/Common Files/Acronis/InitialSeedingTool/
In Linux, it is /usr/lib/Acronis/InitialSeedingTool
How to receive an initial seeding backup
Educate your end-users on how to use the service. You can use this guide as reference, but we recommend you to create your own branded step-by-step guide. Be sure to answer all the questions listed in the How to set up initial seeding service section above.
How to upload an initial seeding backup
- Connect the hard drive with the initial seeding backup to the machine where IS/LSR tool is installed. In Windows, it is C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\InitialSeedingTool
- Start Command line as Administrator in Windows or Terminal (as root) in Linux and go to the IS/LSR tool folder.
- Execute this command to find IS token of the backup:
- Execute this command to upload the backup:
If there are several initial seeding backups in the specified folder, the tool will report an error. In this case point to a particular initial seeding backup.
How to proceed when upload is completed
Notify the Customer that the upload has been completed. Customer’s incremental backups will be created according to the backup plan schedule.
After initial seeding backup, all other runs of this backup plan will check whether it was uploaded to cloud storage and fail if the uploaded backup is not found in the cloud.
An initial seeding backup can be used only with its native backup plan. Another backup plan, even with the same parameters and for the same machine, requires another initial seeding.
How to download a backup for Large Scale Recovery
LSR tool downloads all archives created a specific machine (by token). You cannot download a single archive or specific archives.
- Note the machine token provided to you by the end user. To find the machine token, navigate to the Backup management console, click on the machine, then click Overview.
- Open Command Line (Windows) or Terminal (Linux) on the machine where the IS/LSR tool is installed and navigate to the folder where the tool is installed. In Windows it is C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\InitialSeedingTool
- Execute this command:
lsr_me --username <administrator_login> <token> <path>
where <administrato_login> is the administrator's username of the group that contains the end user or of a parent group;
<token> is the LSR token provided by the end user;
<path> is the folder to download the archive(s) to.
- You will be prompted for the password. You should type in the administrator's password.
How to proceed when download is completed
Pack the drive and send it to the end user.
Initial seeding tool logs are stored in %allusersprofile%\Acronis\InitialSeedingTool\Logs