Add full security permissions to the backup file to solve the issue
This article applies to:
- You boot from Acronis True Image Home 2010 Bootable Media and create a backup of your disks or partitions;
- You boot in Windows 7 or Windows Vista and try to mount or open the created backup;
- The operation fails with the following error message:
An error occurred while opening the backup archive.
Cannot continue the operation as either the backup is corrupted or it is
being used by another process, for example the backup has been
mounted as a disk.
User account under which you are logged in Windows and are trying to mount or open the backup does not have enough security permissions for the file.
If the backup is on a network share, please copy it to the local disk.
Set full security permissions to the backup file:
- Right-click on the backup file and click Properties -> Security;
- On the Security tab click Continue (Windows 7) or Edit (Windows Vista):
- Click Add:
- Type in the name of the user under which you are logged in* and click Check Names. Then click OK:
- Tick off Full control -> Allow:
- Click OK.
Now you can mount or open the backup.
*To check the name of the user under which logged in hit Alt-Ctrl-Del, then click Start Task Manager. In Task Manager click Users and check the name: