Adding the Acronis Backup Plug-In to WinPE 2.x or 3.x ISO.
Acronis Bootable Media Builder provides three methods of integrating Acronis Backup with WinPE 2.x or 3.x:
- Adding the Acronis Plug-in to the existing PE ISO. This comes in handy when you have to add the plug-in to the previously configured PE ISO that is already in use.
- Creating the PE ISO with the plug-in from scratch.
- Adding the Acronis Plug-in to a WIM file for any future purpose (manual ISO building, adding other tools to the image and so on).
All three methods are described in online help:
Adding the Acronis Plug-in to the existing PE ISO:
- When adding the plug-in to the existing Win PE ISO, unpack all files of your Win PE ISO to a separate folder on the hard disk:
- Start the Bootable Media Builder either from the management console, by selecting Tools -> Create Bootable Media or, as a separate component:
- If Agent for Windows or Agent for Linux is not installed on the machine, specify the license key or the license server with licenses. The licenses will not get assigned or reassigned. They determine which functionality to enable for the created media. Without a license, you can create media only for recovery from the online backup storage.
If Agent for Windows or Agent for Linux is installed on the machine, the media inherits its functionality, including Universal Restore and deduplication.
Check the used licenses and click Next:
- To add the Acronis Plug-In to an existing PE Media select Bootable media type Windows PE and click on Use WinPE files located in the folder I specify and click Next:
(!) If you want to create a new WinPE from scratch, choose Create Windows PE 2.x or 3.0 automatically and click Next. In this case skip the next point (5.) and proceed with point 6:
- Specify path to the folder where the WinPE files are located and click Next:
- Specify network settings for the machine network adapters or choose DHCP auto configuration and click Next:
- Choose whether you want to create ISO or WIM image or upload the media on a server (Acronis PXE Server, WDS or RIS) and click Next:
- If needed specify the Windows drivers to be added to Windows PE. Once you boot a machine into Windows PE, the drivers can help you access the device where the backup archive is located. Add 32-bit drivers if you use a 32-bit WinPE distribution or 64-bit drivers if you use a 64-bit WinPE distribution. Also, you will be able to point to the added drivers when configuring Universal Restore. For using Universal Restore, add 32-bit or 64-bit drivers depending on whether you are planning to recover a 32-bit or a 64-bit Windows operating system.
To add the drivers:
- Click Add and specify the path to the necessary *.inf file for a corresponding SCSI, RAID, SATA controller, network adapter, tape drive or other device.
- Repeat this procedure for each driver you want to be included in the resulting WinPE boot media.
- Specify the full path to the resulting image file including the file name, or specify the server and provide the user name and password to access it and click Next:
- Check your settings in the summary screen and click Proceed:
- Burn the .ISO to CD or DVD using a third-party tool or copy to a flash drive.
Once a machine boots into WinPE, Acronis Backup 11.7/11.5 starts automatically.
- Online Help: Adding the Acronis Plug-in to WinPE 2.x or 3.x
- Acronis Bootable Media: Use Only 32-Bit Drivers for WinPE-Based Devices Recognition