Windows activation is required after restore using Acronis Universal Restore or converting a windows based partition backup to different hardware or virtual environment. This is not an Acronis issue. It is a Windows native functionality.
This article applies to:
- All Acronis products
- You have created a backup from Windows based operating system using Acronis software;
- You are using Acronis Universal Restore as a part of the restoring process to dissimilar hardware, cloning the system partition, or converting this backup to a new virtual machine;
- After booting this system, the Windows activation message is displayed:
This Windows system detects that the hardware layer was changed and asks to reactivate the license.
It is a native functionality of the Windows operating system. Please refer to Microsoft documentation to get information on how to activate your Windows license(s).
- Microsoft Knowledge Base: Description of Microsoft Product Activation
- Microsoft Knowledge Base: Activation and registration information of a Microsoft product
- Microsoft Licensing Information: Product Activation and Key Information