Acronis Online Backup lets you back up your data securely to an Acronis online server
This article applies to:
- Acronis True Image Home 2010
- Acronis True Image Home 2010 Netbook Edition
(!) For Acronis True Image Home 2011 see Acronis True Image Home 2011: Online Backup.
With the Acronis Online Backup feature you can securely back up your data to and restore it from an Acronis online server. You can use encryption as well to make sure your private information can only be accessed by you.
To use Acronis Online Backup you need to have Internet connection. Backing up to an Acronis online server is understandably slower than backing up to a local hard disk drive, but it ensures that your information will never be lost due to a physical drive failure.
Using Acronis Online Backup
- Run Acronis True Image Home 2010;
- Click Backup -> Online Backup and provide your credentials to access the account:
(!) If you already have your account at the Acronis website, use the same credentials. If you do not, click Subscribe to Online Backup service to create the account and subscribe to the service.
Once logged in, name your computer that you are going to back up as it will be shown under your online backup account:
(!) You can also use an encryption key so that all the data you back up will be encrypted. If you choose to use encryption, you can only restore the data with the key.
- Once you have accessed your account, you will have the following options available:
- What to Back Up - Choose data on your machine that you would like to back up and run the backup;
- Browse - Browse data that has already been backed up;
- Options - Set up online backup options like connection attempts and speed etc;
- Edit schedule... - Edit the backup task schedule;
- Change cleanup options - Set the number of versions of a file to keep and the time period of a backup to live;
- Update Backup Now - Run the scheduled backup task now.
- What to Back Up
- Documents - back up your documents (*.doc, *.docx. *.rtf etc);
- Finance - back up your finance files (*.mny, *.m10, *.m11, *.m12 etc);
- Images - back up your images (*.jpg, *.png, *.gif etc);
- Music - back up your music files (*.mp3, *.wav, *.m3u etc);
- Video - back up your video files (*.avi, *.wmv, *.mpg etc);
- My Documents - back up files from the My Documents folder;
- My Computer - back up any files from your computer;
- Desktop - back up files from your desktop.
Browse data that has already been backed up and is now stored online. You can recover files from here.
If you double-click a file here to view it, the file will be restored to a temporary folder on your machine and opened using the associated application.
- Connection attempts - Specify the number of attempts to connect to the online server in case the connection drops. You can also specify the time interval between the connection attempts;
- Storage connection speed - You can limit the data transfer rate to the online storage;
- Storage cleanup - Set the number of versions of a file to keep and the time period of a backup to live;
- Proxy settings - Specify the proxy settings if you connect to the Internet via proxy.
- Edit schedule...
Schedule the backup task to run on days or dates when it is most convenient. The product will automatically connect to the online server.
- Change cleanup options
Change the storage cleanup options that were set at an earlier stage.
- Update Backup Now
Clicking the Update Backup Now button will create an incremental backup to what you already on the online storage.
- Click Recovery -> Recover data from online backup:
- Select files or folders that you would like to recover:
It is not possible to put the regular backup location in the online storage.