You have specified incorrect machine address or the hidden Admin$ share is disabled
This article applies to:
- Acronis Backup Advanced 11.5 (Acronis Backup & Recovery 11.5)
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 11
- You are attempting a remote installation of Acronis component(s);
- After specifying the remote machines name or IP address and providing credentials, you hit Proceed. The product errors out with:
Failed to get information about remote machine
There are two possible causes:
- The target machine, where you are trying to install the components remotely, is offline (turned off);
- You have specified incorrect name or IP address of the remote machine;
- The hidden Admin$ share on the source machine is not accessible (disabled).
- Make sure the target machine is turned on and reattempt the installation.
- Make sure you specify the correct name or IP address of the machine on which you are trying to install components remotely.
- The hidden Admin$ share on the target machine should be accessible (i.e. not disabled):
In addition to MSI files, Acronis Backup & Recovery 11 copies two files to the Admin$ share on the remote computer (e.g. \\computer_name\Admin$):
(!) By default the Admin$ share is set to C:\Windows, but it can be reconfigured to a different folder or even deleted completely. One can check whether Admin$ share exists and what folder it is set to it with the use of the net share command in the Windows Command Line interface.