Acronis WinPE plug-in is a modification of Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Agent for Windows that can be added to a WinPE image to boot bare-metal or crashed machines
Acronis WinPE plug-in is a modification of Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Agent for Windows that can run in the preinstallation environment. The plug-in can be added to a WinPE image using Acronis WinPE ISO Builder. The resulting bootable media can be used to boot any machine (including crashed or bare-metal) and perform most of the direct management operations without help of an operating system.
- Using Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 in Windows Preinstallation Environment provides more functionality than using Linux-based bootable media. Having booted PC-compatible hardware into WinPE, you can use not only Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Agent, but also PE commands and scripts and other plug-ins you've added to the PE.
- PE-based bootable media helps overcome some Linux-related bootable media issues such as support for certain RAID controllers or certain levels of RAID arrays only. Media based on PE 2.x, that is, Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 kernel, allows for dynamic loading of the necessary device drivers.
Acronis WinPE ISO Builder can be installed only on machines that run Windows.
Acronis Plug-in for WinPE can be added to WinPE distributions based on of the following kernels:
- Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 (PE 1.5)
- Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 (PE 1.6)
- Windows Vista (PE 2.0)
- Windows Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008 (PE 2.1)
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 10: Adding Acronis Plug-in to WinPE 1.x for Build 11133 or lower
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 10: Adding Acronis Plug-in to WinPE 2.x for Build 11133 or lower
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 10: Using Acronis Media Builder to Build WinPE with Acronis Plug-In for Build 11345 or higher
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 10: Building BartPE with Acronis Plug-in
- Installing Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 into an Existing WinPE Environment
- Microsoft TechNet Article: Windows PE Customization