By default Acronis Backup creates cache of file system metadata of volumes backed up on tapes in the following folder:
Windows Vista/7/8/2008/2008 R2/2012: \ProgramData\Acronis\BackupAndRecovery\TapeLocation
Windows XP/2003: \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\BackupAndRecovery\TapeLocation
In Linux: /var/lib/Acronis/BackupAndRecovery/TapeLocation.
This cache is required for cataloging, browsing and restoring files from disk archives located on tapes. Sometimes the large size of the cache might cause the system partition with low disk space to become full.
See also Web Help: Tape management.
Below are instructions on how to move the cache location to a different folder.
On a Windows machine:
Use junction point to move the TapeLocation folder to another disk:
- Invoke Windows Services (Start-Run -> services.msc) and stop all Acronis services.
- Move the folder TapeLocation to the new location, e.g. to D:\Acronis\TapeLocation
- Verify that the TapeLocation folder does not exist in its original location at C:\ProgramData\Acronis\BackupAndRecovery\TapeLocation . Otherwise the creation of Directory Junction will fail due to name conflict.
Run cmd "as administrator" and execute the command:
mklink /j C:\ProgramData\Acronis\BackupAndRecovery\TapeLocation <new_tape_location>
e.g. mklink /j C:\ProgramData\Acronis\BackupAndRecovery\TapeLocation D:\Acronis\TapeLocation
- Start Acronis services.
As a result NTFS file system will forward all request from default TapeLocation to the new location.
On a Linux machine:
You can use one of the following methods to change cache location:
- Place the new cache location on local disk:
sudo mount /dev/sdb /var/lib/Acronis/BackupAndRecovery/TapeLocation
Replace /dev/sdb with the necessary address
- Place the new cache in a folder on a different disk:
First, mount the disk that you want to use for cache location
sudo mount /dev/sdb /path/to/directory
Then make a link to the specified directory:
ln -s /path/to/directory /var/lib/Acronis/BackupAndRecovery/TapeLocation
where /path/to/directory is the address for the new folder
- Mount a network share to serve as a new cache location:
mount.cifs //host/share/folder /var/lib/Acronis/BackupAndRecovery/TapeLocation -o user=useName
mount -t cifs //host/share/folder /var/lib/Acronis/BackupAndRecovery/TapeLocation -o user=useName,password=Password
Under Linux-based bootable media
- Press Ctrl+Shift+F2 to open shell
- Specify cache location using one of the methods described in On a Linux machine section above
- Press Alt+F1 to return to bootable media user interface
- Rescan the tapes: see product documentation for instructions