Acronis Disk Director Lite is a tool of Acronis Backup (Acronis Backup & Recovery).
Acronis Disk Director Lite is a tool of Acronis Backup (see Acronis Backup: Products Comparison). It allows for basic disk management operations.
Supported file systems
FAT16, FAT32, NTFS
Running Acronis Disk Director Lite
You can run Acronis Disk Director Lite under Windows or start it from a bootable media.
Acronis Disk Director Lite is not available under Windows 8/8.1, Windows Server 2012/2012 R2.
Acronis Disk Director Lite is not available under WinPE 4.0 and WinPE 5.0 bootable media.
Disk management operations under bootable media may work incorrectly if storage spaces are configured on the machine.
Running Acronis Disk Director Lite under Windows
If you run Acronis Management Console, and connect it to a managed machine, the Disk management view will be available in the Navigation tree of the console, with which you can start Acronis Disk Director Lite:
Running Acronis Disk Director Lite from a bootable media
You can run Acronis Disk Director Lite on a bare metal, on a machine that cannot boot or on a non-Windows machine. To do so, boot the machine from a bootable media created with the Acronis Bootable Media Builder; run the management console and then click Disk Management:
Choosing the operating system for disk management
On a machine with two or more operating systems, representation of disks and volumes depends on which operating system is currently running.
A volume may have a different letter in different Windows operating systems.
A dynamic disk created in one Windows operating system is considered as a Foreign Disk in another Windows operating system or might be unsupported by this operating system.
Thus, on a machine with multiple operating systems, it is necessary to specify for which operating system the disk layout will be displayed and the disk management operation will be performed.
The name of the currently selected operating system is shown on the console toolbar after Disk layout. Click the operating system name to select another operating system in the Operating System Selection window. Under bootable media, this window appears after clicking Disk management. The disk layout will be displayed according to the operating system you select.
Acronis Disk Director Lite includes the following operations that can be performed on disks:
- Disk Initialization - initializes the new hardware added to the system
- Basic disk cloning - transfers complete data from the source basic MBR disk to the target
- Disk conversion: MBR to GPT - converts an MBR partition table to GPT
- Disk conversion: GPT to MBR - converts a GPT partition table to MBR
- Disk conversion: Basic to Dynamic - converts a basic disk to dynamic
- Disk conversion: Dynamic to Basic - converts a dynamic disk to basic
Acronis Disk Director Lite includes the following operations that can be performed on volumes:
- Create Volume - Creates a new volume with the help of the Create Volume Wizard.
- Delete Volume - Deletes the selected volume.
- Set Active - Sets the selected volume Active so that the machine will be able to boot with the OS installed there.
- Change Letter - Changes the selected volume letter
- Change Label - Changes the selected volume label
- Format Volume - Formats a volume giving it the necessary file system
(!) Acronis Disk Director Lite must obtain exclusive access to the target volume. This means no other disk management utilities (like Windows Disk Management utility) can access it at that time. If you receive a message stating that the volume cannot be blocked, close the disk management applications that use this volume and start again. If you cannot determine which applications use the volume, close them all.