Make sure the external device (e.g. USB disk) is plugged in and working
This article applies to:
- Acronis True Image Home 2012
- You invoke the backup wizard in Acronis True Image Home 2012 and click Back up now:
- The backup fails with the following error:
Failed to open item
This means that disk to which you are attempting to save the backup cannot be accessed (i.d. the program cannot open it).
When you invoke the backup wizard, the product automatically offers to save the backup to a non-system disk:
If the disk, to which you are offered to save the backup, cannot be accessed, the backup operation will fail.
There are two possible workarounds:
- Make sure the disk to which you are going to save the backup is plugged in and is working correctly. This is most probably an external device. For example, you can try opening it in Windows.
- Or change the target disk to a different one:
See also Acronis True Image Home 2012.