Make sure you have Windows AIK installed, and then build WinPE with the Acronis plug-in from Acronis Media Builder
This article applies to:
- Acronis Snap Deploy 4
Acronis Plug-in for WinPE is a modification of Acronis Snap Deploy 4 components that can run in the preinstallation environment. The plug-in can be added to a WinPE image using Bootable Media Builder. The resulting bootable media can be used to boot any PC-compatible machine and perform, with certain limitations, most of the direct management operations without help of an operating system. Operations can be configured and controlled either locally through the GUI or remotely using the console.
If you have Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK) installed on the same computer with Acronis Bootable Media Builder, Acronis Snap Deploy 4 will detect it, and you will be able to have the WinPE created from Acronis Bootable Media Builder.
Downloading and installing Windows AIK
- If you do not have Windows AIK, you can download it in ISO format from the Microsoft website:
- AIK for Windows Vista, Windows XP SP2 (PE 2.0): http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C7D4BC6D-15F3-4284-9123-679830D629F2&displaylang=en
- AIK for Windows Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008 (PE 2.1): http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=94bb6e34-d890-4932-81a5-5b50c657de08&DisplayLang=en
- AIK for Windows 7 (PE 3.x): http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=696DD665-9F76-4177-A811-39C26D3B3B34&displaylang=en
(!) WinPE 3.x installation is not supported on Windows XP.
- After you download an ISO file from the links, burn the ISO to a DVD disc (see Burning an ISO Image) and run it on the computer where Acronis Bootable Rescue Media Builder is installed (or where you plan to install it);
- Click Windows AIK Setup:
- After going through the wizard and clicking OK, the installation will start:
(!) Reboot the machine after the installation of Windows AIK, otherwise Acronis Snap Deploy 4 will not be able to detect it properly and the creation of the WinPE media will fail.
Building WinPE media with the Acronis Plug-in
- Run Acronis Management Console, click Tools -> Create PE image:
- On the Acronis Bootable Media window select Create Windows PE:
You can then set the Acronis Snap Deploy 4 Agent if necessary:
(!) See also:
- If you would like to add specific drivers both to the WinPE media and for Acronis Universal Restore, click add and browse to the folder with the *.inf driver files:
(!) If your specific hardware (e.g. RAID controller) is not supported by Linux-based Acronis Bootable Rescue media (see Acronis Bootable Media Types), you should add drivers for the necessary hardware at this step, to make sure that WinPE media recognizes hardware correctly.
(!) Drivers both for the WinPE media and Acronis Universal Deploy are provided at the same step.
(!) Drivers for deploying to dissimilar hardware can always be added during the restore process.
- Select the type of media to create (PXE/ISO/WIM):
- After the media is created, you should be able to boot from it. Acronis Snap Deploy 4.0 will start automatically, once booted:
See also Acronis Snap Deploy 4.