Start a new backup chain. Keep the old one for recovery purposes only
This article applies to:
- Acronis True Image Home 2011
An attempt to create an incremental or a differential backup to an existing chain of backups fails. In the logs you see the following error entry:
Failed to open data stream
Your backup script file or/and backup database for this particular backup chain have gone corrupt.
The backup task script files (*.tis) are at:
- Windows XP: Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Scripts
- Windows Vista, Windows 7: ProgramData\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Scripts
The database file is at:
To access the database file, hit Win-R on the keyboard and paste there the path above:
If both the backup script and the database entries have gone corrupt, you will not be able to recover the backup archive.
On an attempt to do the recovery, you will see the following error message:
In this case, it is strongly recommended to remove the corrupted backup and start a new backup chain - create a new full backup and incrementals to it.
To remove the backup, right-click on it and select Delete backup:
If only the backup script (and not the database) has gone corrupt, you will be able to restore the backups.
In this case the backup chain is now in the recovery-only mode. This means that you can recover it at any time, but you cannot create new incremental backups to it.
As a workaround, please do the following:
- Start a new backup chain - create a new full backup. Then start creating new incremental backups to it.
- Remove the faulty chain from the list:
- The readd the chain as described in Acronis True Image Home 2011: Adding Backups to Backup List. You will not be able to create new backups to this chain. Keep it for recovery purposes only.
If the issue persists or you need assistance, please contact Acronis Customer Central.