As a workaround, use Microsoft VSS instead of Acronis VSS
This article applies to:
- Acronis Backup 11.5 (Acronis Backup & Recovery 11.5)
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 11
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 10
- You have a Windows server with Active Directory Domain Services role (an SBS system or a domain controller) and NTDS VSS writer present in the system.
(!) You can check the list of writers in the system by running "vssadmin list writers" command via Start -> Run -> cmd.
2. You create a disk backup of this server. Option Use Volume Shadow Copy service (VSS) is selected and the snapshot provider is Software - Acronis VSS Provider.
3. Backup operation fails with the a snapshot error similar to:
Failed to create volume snapshot
4. Windows Application event logs contain errors similar to:
Log Name: Application
Event ID: 455
Task Category: Logging/Recovery
lsass (616) Error -1023 (0xfffffc01) occurred while opening logfile C:\Device\snapman\Windows\ntds\edb.log.
5. Error log shows an error similar to this:
Unknown Win32 error
Event code: 0x000101F6+0x00070021+0x0010C442+0x0010C469+0x0000FFF0+0x800423F0
Event code: 0x0135003D+0x01490003+0x00010424+0x00070021+0x0010C442+0x0010C469+0x0000FFF0+0x800423F0
Problems in communication between Acronis VSS Provider and NTDS writer due to Acronis VSS Provider limitations. When Acronis VSS Provider is used for VSS support, the final snapshot is created by means of Acronis SnapAPI drivers technology. NTDS writer requires to get the snapshot path which is not possible to be done correctly with SnapAPI snapshot specifics and Acronis VSS Provider capabilities.
Troubleshoot VSS-related issues with the free Acronis VSS Doctor tool. If it didn't help, follow instructions below.
As a workaround, use Microsoft VSS provider instead of Acronis VSS. You will need to go the backup options into Volume Shadow Copy Service section. Make sure that the option Use Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) is selected. In Snapshot provider menu select the option Software - System provider.
(!) There may be a separate issue where backups with Microsoft VSS provider on Windows Small Business Server 2011 may not work correctly after Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 Service Pack 1 (SP1) installation.
(!) This issue applies only to systems with Active Directory Domain Services and NTDS VSS writer. If you face this error on a different operating system, the issue is not covered in this article and needs investigation. Please contact Acronis Customer Central with a reference to this article.