This article describes how you can edit Windows system registry offline using BartPE
If the system is unbootable and you need to edit the registry, then this can be done with BartPE.
- Create a BartPE CD as described in Working with Acronis True Image Plug-In for BartPE or Acronis Backup & Recovery 10: Building BartPE with Acronis Plug-in;
- After creating the CD, insert it into the drive, and boot the system from it. Once the file loading phase is over, the BartPE desktop will be visible:
- Type regedit.exe in the command-line, and press Enter. Select the HKEY_USERS hive:
- From the File menu, choose the Load Hive option. Browse to your Windows installation drive (e.g. C:\Windows\System32\Config\), select the file named SOFTWARE (the file without any extensions), and click Open:
- Type any name for the hive that you have loaded now:
Now the SOFTWARE hive is loaded and present under the HKEY_USERS base hive, so you can make the necessary changes.
- (!) Unload hive after making changes:
BartPE is an environment based on bootable live Windows CD technology. It can be used to recover the system when in a disaster. In other words, it lets you start a Windows operating system from a CD or DVD and run certain applications even if the operating system does not boot.