Enhancements of deduplication in Acronis Backup & Recovery 11
This article applies to:
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 11 Advanced Server
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 11 Advanced Workstation
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 11 Advanced Server SBS Edition
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 11 Virtual Edition
The following improvements have been made to deduplication functionality in Acronis Backup & Recovery 11:
- Encrypted NTFS files can be deduplicated;
- Files smaller than 4 KB can be deduplicated;
- 64-bit architecture support: larger amount of memory can be used, which allows faster deduplication;
- Data is compressed before transmission, reducing the network load;
- TIB files are not blocked during indexing: it is possible to run incremental backups while indexing is in progress;
- Parallel read-write operations do not block each other;
- SQLite database engine is used for storing deduplication database instead of Firebird, allowing scalability: adding more RAM positively affects performance.
- Encrypted archives cannot be deduplicated. As a workaround, you can encrypt the vault where archives are stored instead of the archive itself;
- File system metadata is not deduplicated.
See also Acronis Backup & Recovery 11.