Description of tape pools and operations with them in Acronis Backup Advanced (Acronis Backup & Recovery Advanced)
This article applies to:
- Acronis Backup Advanced 11.5 (Acronis Backup & Recovery 11.5 Advanced)
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 11 Advanced
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 10
Tapes are managed by Acronis Removable Storage Management Service. Tapes are divided into logical groups called pools. There are 4 default pools, and you can create custom pools according to your needs.
- Free - this pool contains free (empty) tapes. When a tape is moved to Free pool, the program marks it as empty to let overwriting the data on it. If the tape contains backups, they are displayed as deleted. As the software overwrites the backups, it will remove the data related to the backups from the database.
- Unrecognized - tapes that contain data from third-party applications. To save backups to such tapes, you need to move them to Free pool. You cannot move tapes from this pool to any other pool, except for the Free tapes pool.
- Imported - tapes that were written by Acronis Backup (Acronis Backup & Recovery) on another Storage Node or Agent. To save backups to such tapes, you need to move them to Free pool. You cannot move tapes from this pool to any other pool, except for the Free tapes pool.
- Acronis - pool used by default for backing up, when you do not want to create any additional custom pools.
Creating a new pool
You can to create several custom pools if you want to separate backups of different data. For example, you may want to create custom pools in order to separate:
- backups from different departments of your company;
- backups from different machines;
- backups of system volumes and users' data;
- filled tapes from tapes being written to.
- Go to Tape management and press Create new pool;
- Specify a name for the pool and select tapes to be moved to new pool from Free pool:
- You can always add tapes from Free pool to the new pool later.
- If you want the new pool to be replenishable, check the option Take tapes from the Free tapes pool automatically when required. If this option is not selected, program will only use the tapes that were assigned to this pool.
- Options for moving tapes to other pools:
- After X rewritings, move the tape to... - select this option to move tapes to a different pool after a defined number of writing cycles. E.g. this option can be used to separate used tapes from new ones
- After X backups, move the tape to ...- select this option to move tapes to a different pool after a defined number of backups is written to it. E.g. this option can be used to keep backups of each week on a separate tape.
- When tape is full, move to pool... - select this option to move full tapes to different pool. This option is useful to separate full tapes from tapes being written to, e.g. if you do not want to overwrite backups.
- Click OK.