Change the databases to Simple Recovery Mode
- You install Acronis backup software on a machine with Microsoft SQL Server 2000;
- You create a disk/partition backup with Create snapshots using VSS option activated;
- Backup operation fails with the error message:
Failed to create volume snapshot
- In the Windows Event Log (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer), there is an error entry similar to the following one:
Event Type: Error Event Source: VSS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 6004
Description: Sqllib error: Database NAME is not simple.
This is a Microsoft issue. Acronis backup software is unable to create a snapshot using Windows VSS service if the recovery model of the SQL Server database is configured to use an option that is different from Simple.
Set Microsoft SQL Server 2000 database to Simple Recovery Mode as described in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 828481.
- Acronis Backup Software: "Failed to create volume snapshot"
- After Upgrading Acronis True Image Echo Build 8203 or Lower to Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Build 11345 VSS Backup Fails with "Failed to create volume snapshot"