The product cannot access the hard disk drive to create a snapshot
A disk/partition backup attempt fails with an error message similar to the following one:
Failed to create volume snapshot
Failed to start creating the volume snapshot
The device is not ready
There is no universal cause. Every issue requires investigation.
Use the free Acronis VSS Doctor tool to diagnose and fix the most common problems with VSS. If it didn't help, follow instructions below.
- Acronis Backup 11.5: Backup Fails with 'The shadow copy provider had an unexpected error while trying to process the specified operation'
- Acronis Backup: Disk Backup with Acronis VSS Provider Fails on Windows SBS and domain controllers
- After Upgrading Acronis True Image Echo Build 8203 or Lower to Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Build 11345 VSS Backup Fails with "Failed to create volume snapshot"
- Backing Up to USB Hard Drive Fails with "Device is not ready"
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Build 11639 Fails with "MFT bitmap is corrupted"
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 10: VSS Backup Fails with "Failed to create volume snapshot" on a Machine with Microsoft SQL Server 2000