Try running Checkdisk and updating Acronis drivers to resolve the issue
This article applies to:
- Acronis True Image Home 2009
- Acronis True Image Echo
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 10
- You start performing any operation with a hard disk drive using Acronis software;
- At the point where the product is Analyzing partitions or Performing Backup you get an error message similar to the one below:
Failed to read from sector...
Acronis software cannot get access to the partition to perform operations.
You need to check the disk for errors, and update the Acronis drivers.
Please check the partition for errors:
- Go to the Command Prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd);
- Enter the command:
chkdsk DISK: /r
where DISK is the partition letter you need to check. Please note, that checking the C: drive may require you to reboot the machine.
If Step 1 does not solve the issue and you are using Acronis True Image Home 2009 Build 9796 or Acronis True Image Echo Build 8398 (Windows Editions), click the table below for instructions:
- If you are using other Acronis products (but not Acronis Backup & Recovery 10), then please do the following:
- Download SnapAPI update
Unpack the archive and run the SnapAPISetup.msi file;
- Go through the wizard screens and hit Proceed to install the update.
(!) You will need to reboot the machine to finish the installation.
- If you are using Acronis Backup & Recovery 10, please download and install the latest build. See Downloading the Latest Build of Acronis Software.
- If Step 2 does not solve the issue and/or you are using Acronis True Image Home 2009 Build 9796 or Acronis True Image Echo Build 8398 (Windows Editions), please do the following:
Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Programs and Features;
Check if there is the SnapAPI entry in the list of installed programs;
If there is the SnapAPI entry, click on it and choose Uninstall.
Open Start -> Run -> regedit;
Remove the current SnapAPI drivers as described in Removing Acronis SnapAPI Drivers.
Reboot the machine;
Rename the snapapi.dll and snapapivss.dll files to snapapi.old and snapapivss.old in the following folder:
Windows 32 bit: %WINDIR% -> system32
Windows 64 bit: %WINDIR% -> syswow64
Download Acronis driver update and extract it;
Install the extracted file (with disabled logging).
Reboot the machine.