This is a Windows issue
An attempt to install an Acronis product fails with an error similar to the following one:
An error occurred during the installation of assembly
Please refer to Help and Support for more information.
This is an issue with your Windows operating system which is unable to install the redistributable components of C Runtime. The root causes may vary.
Run Windows System File Checker:
(!) You will need to have Windows Installation Disc to run the utility. It is strongly recommended to boot from the disc to run the system file check. See also Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 929833.
(!) If you do not have Windows Installation Disc at hand, you can always create it within Windows. Please see How to Create a System Repair Disk in Windows 7 and Vista.
- Hit Start-Run and type in cmd
- In the command line, issue the following command:
(!) You can also view detailed instructions with screenshots at How to Run the System File Checker (Sfc.exe) Offline in Windows 7 and Vista.
This will check the system for corruption and repair the corrupted system files from the Windows Installation Disc.
Make sure the Windows Modules Installer service is running:
- Start -> Run -> services.msc;
- Locate Windows Modules Installer;
- Set up Startup Type to Manual and start the service.
Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package might be not installed on the machine. Install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package:
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86) for Windows XP Service Pack 2
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) for Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) for Windows XP and Windows Vista
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) for Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) for Windows XP with Service Pack 3, Windows Vista with Service Pack 2 or later, Windows 7
.NET framework installation might be corrupted. Uninstall and reinstall the .NET framework:
- Close all applications;
- Start -> Control Panel -> Programs and Features;
- Locate the .NET Framework installation package, select it and click Uninstall;
- Open the Windows Registry: Start -> Run -> regedit.exe;
- Navigate to this key and rename or delete it:
Note: It's possible that not all these keys are present.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\Full
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\Product
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\Full
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\Product
- Reinstall the versions of the .NET Framework you uninstalled. Install the oldest version of the .NET framework and work toward the newest version, until you have installed the latest version of the .NET framework. You can download the .NET Framework from Microsoft's .NET Framework Developer Center:
for Windows XP - .NET framework 3.0
for Windows Vista - .NET framework 3.0
for Windows 7 - .NET framework 3.5 SP1
The Windows Registry on the computer might be reaching the size limit set for it (this issue usually occurs related to the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package). Change size limit for the Windows Registry:
- Start -> Run -> regedit.exe;
- Navigate to the key:
- Edit the value for 'RegistrySizeLimit' to be hex ffffffff; click OK;
- Restart the machine.
The Microsoft Installer might be unable to find the Microsoft Foundation Classes. Re-register the library:
- Start -> Run -> cmd;
If the issue persists, please contact Microsoft Support since this is a Windows issue and may result in difficulties with installation of other applications as well.
We kindly ask you to share with us in the feedback form which of the solutions we have gathered for you solved the issue in your case.
You can also always contact Acronis Customer Central for assistance.