Cloned machines have the same ID. Change the instance ID in Windows Registry to fix the issue
This article applies to:
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Advanced Server
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Advanced Server - Small Business Server Edition
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Advanced Workstation
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Advanced Server - Virtual Edition
(!) For Acronis Backup 11.5/11.7 please refer to https://kb.acronis.com/content/30461
(!) If the issue is not with adding a cloned machine, see Adding a Machine to Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Management Server Fails with "The machine has been already registered".
- You have a machine that is a cloned off of another machine. For example, you have backed one machine and restored to another one;
- On an attempt to add both machines (the original one and cloned one) to Acronis Management Server, only one machine is added successfully. The other one fails with:
The machine has already been registered
The instance ID is the same for both machines in Acronis Management Server.
Change the instance ID and add the machine to the Acronis Management Server:
- On the machine that failed to be added, hit Start-Run and type in services.msc. Stop Acronis Managed Machine Service;
- Delete the contents of the following folder:
Windows 2000/XP/2003: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\BackupAndRecovery\MMS\Instances
Windows Vista/7/2008/2008 R2: C:\ProgramData\Acronis\BackupAndRecovery\MMS\Instances
- Hit Start-Run and type in regedit. Navigate to the following key:
Windows 32-bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Acronis\BackupAndRecovery\Settings\MachineManager
Windows 64-bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Acronis\BackupAndRecovery\Settings\MachineManager
- If you fail to add a machine with Acronis Agent component, please change the last 4 symbols in MMScurrentMachineID as well as InstanceID to some random value (use letters from A to F, and digits from 0 to 9):
If it is Acronis Storage Node machine which fails to be added, then you need to do the same change as above in the ASNCurrentMachineID value.
- Hit Start-Run and type in services.msc. Start Acronis Managed Machine Service;
- Try adding this machine to the Acronis Management Server.
- Stop Acronis Managed Machine Service:
- Change current machine ID: modify value MMSCurrentMachineID in /etc/Acronis/BackupAndRecovery.config
- Delete current instance:
rm -f /var/lib/Acronis/BackupAndRecovery/MMS/Instances/*
- Restart Acronis Managed Machine Service:
If the issue is not with adding a cloned machine, see Adding a Machine to Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Management Server Fails with "The machine has been already registered".