Description of the most common issues with retention rules
This article applies to:
- All Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Editions
Unlike previous corporate Acronis True Image versions (see Using Batch Files in Acronis True Image), Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 can create multiple full backups in one folder. Thus, the product does not overwrite the same full backup file.
This strategy ensures that if a backup job fails, there will still be a valid, not overwritten full backup.
After creating multiple backups:
- There are more backup files than expected;
- The backup task aborts with a There is not enough space in the backup destination message:
There are several possible causes:
- The retention rules are enabled, but the settings are left blank:
See Solution 1.
(!) Or the retention rules are enabled and set up, but the default Apply retention rules: Never is used:
See Solution 1.
- An RDX or Iomega REV drive is accessed locally using the drive letter. See Solution 2.
- a) If you are using Build 11345, there are possible issues with Clean up archive: When there is insufficient space while backing up (this setting may malfunction):
See Solution 3.
b) If you are using a Build lower than 11345, there are possible issues with retention rules malfunctioning for archives on removable media. See Solution 3.
If you are backing up to swapped disks, please also see Acronis Backup & Recovery 10: Creating a Backup Plan to Removable Media (Multiple External USB/Flash Drives).
- The last backup task was executed manually, and the retention rules were not applied. See Solution 4.
- Make sure the retention rules are set up correctly and are not blank:
(!) Make sure if you are not using the default Apply retention rules: Never setting:
a) The Apply retention rules: Before backup is effective only if an archive contains more than one backup. See also Acronis Backup & Recovery 10: Exporting Archives and Backups.
b) If you want to keep only one backup and set up the retention rules correspondingly, make sure you select Apply retention rules: After backup.
- If you are using RDX or Iomega REV drives, please see Acronis Backup & Recovery 10: Limitations on Working with RDX and Iomega REV Drives;
- Make sure you are using Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Build 11639 or higher;
- If the last backup task was executed manually and you had the Before backup retention rule set up, it was not executed. See Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Does Not Apply Retention Rules "Before backup" If Backup Is Started Manually;
- Help / Help Topics / Retention Rules provides a general introduction
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Advanced: "Keep archive size within" Retention Rules Do Not Work for Backups in a Managed Vault
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 10: Cleanup and Backup Tasks on Centralized Managed Vault Stall at 0%
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 10: Deleting the ".meta" Folder Is Not Recommended
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 10: False "There is not enough space in the backup destination" Warnings in Operation Log
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 10: Retention Rules
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 10: Data Backups to Centralized Managed Vault Are Not Automatically Deleted From Disk
- Acronis Backup & Recovery 10 Advanced: GFS Backup Scheme Does Not Properly Clean Up the Location on Centralized Managed Vault